Sunday, June 24, 2012

First morning

The girls came home yesterday afternoon. I picked them up after skating and brunch and before we met mom for dinner so they had a couple of hours to acclimate in a quiet house. According to the best estimate of the vet at the shelter they are two months and two (well, three now) days old. Their birthday is estimated to be April 21, 2012 and that's what I've plugged into my calendar as a yearly reminder.

The girls are sequestered in my home office (also my dressing room) and I've gated the closet and the room doors so they have a small contained area to explore as they get used to me and their new life. They're sweet girls. A bit skittish of course but brave and curious, too.

When I brought them home I placed the carrier on the floor, opened the door, and let them explore at will. I left the carrier just where I put it and the girls use it as their bed and refuge. I had lined it with some unused linens before I left to pick them up and they came with their own blanket so I expect it feels safe and comfortable. I also don't want them to feel anxiety about the carrier either so I'm glad they're using it.

After dinner with mom last night I spent time in the room with the girls, just letting them get used to my presence, reading the interwebs and such. But most of the evening I left them alone to hang out and explore while the mister and I were in the other room watching movies. I did have to remove the collars we put on at the shelter, though. Even though they're 'one size fits all' they're much too big for the wee things and they kept getting limbs stuck.

This morning the girls and I have been getting to know each other. I've picked up both and held them in my lap. They're great little purr machines and weren't squirmy at all. Even though they're both all black and roughly the same size I can tell the two of them apart. Boomer is just slightly larger and Athena's hazel eyes have a tinge more green in them. Boomer is also slightly more aggressive and Athena displayed signs of being slightly more needy after I held her in my lap for a while.

At least one of the girls, Athena, has figured out what to do with the scratcher I picked up at the shelter for them. It's a steep wedge shape and in the corner of each side there's a round cut out w/ a dangling toy inside! Both girls use the litter box but only one seems to bury the business. And even though there's two bowls of food they'll headbutt each other to be in the same dish.

I just held the two of them in my lap for a good twenty minutes or so. Athena is definitely the more needy for attention, she misses nursing. Boomer with eyes closed will very gently put her teeth on my fingers when I pet her. Both very strong purr machine fur butts.

Even though they were both spayed on Friday, they're active and don't seem bothered by their stitches at all. I've looked at both bellies and the incisions are very small and the stitches and surrounding skin look good. Also, Boomer's belly is darker than Athena's.



No comments:

Post a Comment